Homeland Security Advisory System (HSAS)
The Homeland Security Advisory System will provide a comprehensive and effective means to disseminate information regarding the risk of terrorist attacks to Federal, State, and local authorities and to the American people.
The Homeland Security Advisory System will provide a national framework for the federal alert systems, allowing government officials and citizens to communicate the nature and degree of terrorist threats. This advisory system characterizes appropriate levels of vigilance, preparedness and readiness in a series of graduated Threat Conditions. The Protective Measures that correspond to each Threat Condition will help the government and citizens decide what action they take to help counter and respond to terrorist activity. Based on the threat level, Federal agencies will implement appropriate Protective Measures. States and localities will be encouraged to adopt compatible systems.
Low Condition (Green)
Low risk of terrorist attacks. The following Protective Measures may be applied:
- Refining and exercising preplanned Protective Measures
- Ensuring personnel receive training on HSAS, departmental, or agency-specific Protective Measures; and
- Regularly assessing facilities for vulnerabilities and taking measures to reduce them.
Guarded Condition (Blue)
General risk of terrorist attack. In addition to the previously outlined Protective Measures, the following may be applied:
- Checking communications with designated emergency response or command locations;
- Reviewing and updating emergency response procedures; and
- Providing the public with necessary information.
Elevated Condition (Yellow)
Significant risk of terrorist attacks. In addition to the previously outlined Protective Measures, the following may be applied:
- Increasing surveillance of critical locations;
- Coordinating emergency plans with nearby jurisdictions;
- Assessing further refinement of Protective Measures within the context of the current threat information; and
- Implementing, as appropriate, contingency and emergency response plans.
High Condition (Orange)
High risk of terrorist attacks. In addition to the previously outlined Protective Measures, the following may be applied:
- Coordinating necessary security efforts with armed forces or law enforcement agencies;
- Taking additional precaution at public events;
- Preparing to work at an alternate site or with a dispersed workforce; and Restricting access to essential personnel only.
Severe Condition (Red)
Severe risk of terrorist attacks. In addition to the previously outlined Protective Measures, the following may be applied:
- Assigning emergency response personnel and pre-positioning specially trained teams; Monitoring, redirecting or constraining transportation systems;
- Closing public and government facilities; and
- Increasing or redirecting personnel to address critical emergency needs.